Health and Fitness Tips
At The Riverside Park Hotel
1. To lose weight you need to know how many calories you need for maintenance (we can help you with this). Then make sure you are in a calorie deficit of around 20%. Remember to adjust your maintenance level and deficit as you lose weight.
2. Eliminate processed food wherever possible. Cook for yourself and know exactly what you are eating. This is vital for fat loss and weight loss.
3. Reduce, or even better eliminate sugar from your diet. It affects hormones, moods, immune system, weight and possibly even cancer cells.
4. Healthy fats are good for you. Cook with coconut oil or butter, use olive oil on salads, try to incorporate, nuts, olives and avocados into your diet.
5. Green tea has many benefits such as speeding up the metabolism. Try to find green tea made from unbleached bags as these have fewer chemicals.
6. Stretch. It makes you more flexible, relieves muscle tension, and improves posture. It also helps prevent injury from training or just day to day life.
7. Say no to sports drinks. The average sports drink has 140 calories per bottle. A 200lb person walking at 3.5mph will burn roughly 120 calories in half an hour.
8. Drink more water. Very few people drink enough. An easy way to calculate your recommended water intake is to multiply your body weight in KG by 0.033. For example; someone weighing 90 kg – (90 X 0.033) = 2.97. This person should drink 3 litres of water per day.
9. Try to do more resistance (weight) training or interval training. It raises the metabolism and keeps it elevated for longer than steady state cardio such as jogging.
10. For more information on any of the above or any health & fitness issues feel free to speak to one of our instructors